FORTMED 2023_Pisa is the sixth edition of the International Conference on Modern Age Fortifications of the Mediterranean Coast. The Conference, hosted by the DESTeC Department of the University of Pisa, will take place on 23-24-25 March 2023 at the ”Centro Congressi Le Benedettine“ in Pisa.
The first five editions of the Conference took place on:
- 15-16-17 October 2015 at the Instituto Universitario de Restauración del Patrimonio, Universitat Politècnica de València;
- 10-11-12 November 2016 at the Department of Architecture of Università degli Studi di Firenze;
- 26-27-28 October 2017 at the Escuela Técnica Superior de Arquitectura, Universitat d’Alacant;
- 18-19-20 October 2018 at the Dipartimento di Architettura e Design, Politecnico di Torino, Castello del Valentino;
- 4-5-6 November 2021 at the Escuela de Estudios Árabes in Granada.
The main objective of the Conference is to exchange and share knowledge for a better understanding, assessment, management and exploitation of the Culture and Heritage of fortified architecture that developed on the Mediterranean coast in the Modern Age, also taking into account the phenomena that took place overseas. The dissemination of the results is a crucial resource to achieve the main objective.
The Conference has an interdisciplinary character, where architects, engineers, archaeologists, historians, geographers, cartographers, cultural heritage managers, professionals of the tourist sector, experts in restoration-conservation and promotion of cultural heritage will participate. The idea is to provide more inclusive, real, and up-to-date views, leading us to the highest level of the investigations on this topic in the 21th century.
Attention will be focused on the fortifications of the Mediterranean (Spain, France, Italy, Malta, Tunisia, Cipro, Greece, Albania, Algeria and Morocco) from the 15th to 18th centuries; although it does not exclude other Mediterranean countries and other fortifications from this era built overseas (Cuba, Puerto Rico, Philippines, Panama…).